Whereuare Community – Nätverka med andra distansarbetare & ta del av bra erbjudanden
CLIMATE PRODUCT EXPERT
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency – monitoring the weather and climate from space – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We are currently looking for an experienced Climate Product Expert to join our international team of inspiring engineers and industry professionals, tasked with driving innovation within the Space, Satellite and Earth Observation sector.
This role is rooted in the mission of EUMETSAT and will provide the opportunity to work with leading IT, Space and Earth Observation organisations and domain experts to make a positive impact on society!
EUMETSAT uses data from its growing Earth observation fleet, as well as data from other agencies, to support climate information services by rescuing, recalibrating and reprocessing long series of satellite observations and validating the resulting climate datasets.
Within the Climate Services Team of the User Support and Climate Services Division (USC), the Climate Product Expert leads specific scientific developments for the generation and validation of climate data records, focusing on the rescue, recalibration and reprocessing of satellite observations to Level 1, including relevant EUMETSAT contributions to cooperative European research projects and to the Copernicus Climate Change Service.
The Climate Services team consists of staff with a wide range of expertise from climate applications of Earth Observation data to informatics that produce climate data efficiently. The team uses the latest technologies that can be applied to cloud/bulk data processing systems to generate and validate the datasets. The team also supports the further development of these systems. Joining EUMETSAT in this role offers a unique opportunity to develop a professional career in a highly motivating environment.
What you’ll be doing
· Lead agreed scientific developments for the rescue, recalibration, uncertainty characterisation, and reprocessing of observations into Level 1 products and the validation of the resulting Fundamental Climate Data records for instruments operating in the visible spectrum including:
o Development and application of quality control methods for metadata and raw data;
o Development and validation of instrument corrections and re- and cross-calibration methods;
o Development of appropriate uncertainty estimates for Level 1 products.
· Coordinate the implementation and validation of calibration and inter-calibration activities together with the corresponding experts within EUMETSAT;
· Support the implementation of all developed methods in the operational systems and environment; Compile relevant documentation, reports and peer reviewed scientific publications;
· Support the definition and maintenance of product requirements for EUMETSAT climate data records and the evolution of climate data records and related interactions with Satellite Application Facilities.
What we offer
· Excellent salary, of up to Euro 7,500 NET (after tax) based on skills and experience
· Flexible working time including additional flexi-leave
· Full medical coverage for employee and family
· Attractive pension
· 30 days of annual leave + 14.5 days public holidays
· Training and development support
· Relocation allowance and support (if applicable)
· University degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Physics, Remote Sensing or another relevant discipline.
Skills and Experience:
In-depth knowledge and demonstrated experience in:
· Scientific development for instrument calibration including external calibration, measurement corrections and validation of satellite products for satellite instruments measuring in the visible spectrum;
· Use of radiative transfer models in the visible spectrum;
· Metrological uncertainty characterisation;
· Programming using C/C++ and/or Fortran 95 (and higher) programming languages as well as scripting languages, such as Python, Shell;
· Management of small to medium scientific projects;
· Good interpersonal skills and a proven ability to apply these to the interactions within a team and between teams in an international environment.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH. WE WILL BE UNABLE TO CONSIDER APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED IN OTHER LANGUAGES.
EUMETSAT is an international organisation employing staff from across all 30 member states and this role is being advertised on multiple international job boards, but please note that this role would be based in Darmstadt, Germany and would require international applicants to work from the headquarters from day 1. Remote working is not an option for this role.
More about us
EUMETSAT’s role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation’s Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT can recruit nationals only from the 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom).
Salary: Up to 7,500.00kr per month
Work Location: On the road